I love the mastodon image captioning feature because there are a lot of good uses even for sighted users
- when federation / the other instance / your router fails & the image won't load
- explaining visual jokes while "keeping the medium intact"
- naming a visual symbol you /think/ people will know about but maybe not, so they can look it up & read more about it
- noting 'what to look for' when it's unclear
- translating an image in another language while still letting it speak for itself
- I don't know what the fuck anything is
@valenoern I preferred how it used to work (at least on my instance.) It used to be that you uploaded an image then just clicked on it to caption it. Now you have to open a whole other dialogue to caption it. I actually caption images less now because of the change.
- acting as a psychological mirror for the poster, who has to explain why exactly they thought the image was amusing
If you don't need the media description, you can turn it off.
What does the timeout means ?
Time to appear or time to disappear ?
Yes, it needs another option.
But zero means they are off. I just tested. Sorry, I got a doubt with your last question.
A silly instance of Mastodon for queer folk and non-queer folk alike. Let's be friends!