Wikimedia Foundation stops accepting cryptocurrency donations
Okay, it's time to tell new users a secret about Mastodon.
Mastodon is (whispers) part of a much bigger network 😮
Mastodon servers use an open standard called ActivityPub to talk to each other. That's how you interact with people on other Mastodon servers.
But, dozens of other federated networks also use ActivityPub, so (this is the good bit!) you can follow people on these other networks from your Mastodon account!
Together, Mastodon and these other services form... The Fediverse
(whispers) Click on the link...
No photos just yet, but I've made good progress on the bike rebuild this evening. The frame has been rust-treated (I only lost one plastic straw inside the chainstay, woo!, the last parts - a Jagwire brake cable kit - finally arrived, and I've started putting some of the components back onto the frame.
Next up, get the confidence to (eeek) cut the cable outers, decide on bar and shifter placement, and (eeek again) wrap the bar tape...
New people, welcome to Mastodon and the Fediverse!
Here's how to get started:
2. Find out your Mastodon/Fediverse address so you can share it with friends (https://mstdn.social/@feditips/107248252715651564)
3. Invite people to join you on here by telling them to go to https://joinmastodon.org and click on "Get Started". It doesn't matter if they join a different server because the servers talk to each other (here's a bit more of an explanation https://mstdn.social/@feditips/107021461185874594)
4. Find out what the Fediverse is (https://mstdn.social/@feditips/107044096139091624)
5. Find out why Mastodon being on so many different servers/instances is a really good thing (https://mstdn.social/@feditips/107083735491993183)
6. If you see anything nasty, you can report it to your friendly server admin (https://mstdn.social/@feditips/106540152842368591)
7. You can (sort of) verify your account if you own a website (https://mstdn.social/@feditips/106274105538953001)
If you have any questions, @ me or DM me!
A few years ago I made this flow chart of which Mastodon posts end up in which timelines!
So, you can see how each instance will have a different local timeline, and even a slightly different federated timeline - and you can see why the federated timeline moves so much faster than the local one, too.
This is why it's important to boost good posts and use hashtags - the fediverse is fragmented and harder to search by nature.
Games, bikes, skates, drinks too much coffee, occasionally streams. He/they.
A silly instance of Mastodon for queer folk and non-queer folk alike. Let's be friends!